This Privacy Statement provides information on how BeAiware, LLC collects, uses, and protects personal information. BeAiware supports critical processes of managing student, staff, and visitor health data, and we are committed to the highest standards of protection for personal data at all times. When we refer to “us,” “we,” “our,” or “BeAiware” in this Privacy Statement, we are referring to BeAiware. Privacy is a fundamental right for all individuals. Our clients entrust us with the personal information of both employees, visitors, and students. On this basis, we take the responsibility attached to this information very seriously. We are signatories of the Student Privacy Pledge.
This Privacy Statement governs all the manners in which BeAiware collects personal information directly from you as an individual. Whether you are a visitor to our website, request a whitepaper, or any other communication with us (such as attendance at a webinar), this Privacy Statement governs our use of personal information for products and services that we provide directly to you as what is known as a “data controller.” How we collect information and how we use information may differ based on our relationship with you as an individual. We have identified below the different relationships we may have with you, and our respective use of information we collect.
When a customer’s privacy statement/policy governs. If you are an end-user (parent or student, visitor or employee) of our customer (a school or school district) and you are using BeAiware products and services through our customer (your school or school district), we are considered a “data processor.” In these cases, your school or school district’s privacy statement or privacy notice governs the use of any personal information. Our Privacy Statement does not supersede the terms of any agreements between us and your school or school district (our customer), nor does it affect the terms of any agreement between the student and the student’s school or school district.
II. What Information We Collect and How We Use It
The nature of the personal information we collect and how we use it depends on the context in which we collect that personal information. Please see the section below that applies to you.
A. Website Users.
You may visit any BeAiware website without having to log in or provide any personal information. If you are on a BeAiware website to access a service or product, you may need to log in to make use of the functionality of the particular product.
- Information We Collect
- Directly from you. You may voluntarily provide us information when you complete a form or survey on our website or subscribe to our blog or newsletters. This may include some or all of the following categories of information: Name and Role; Gravatar image; Job title; Signature; Profession; Social media account name; User name; Telephone Number; Street Address; and Email address.
- You may also provide information when you register for an account through a BeAiware website to log in to use a product or service.
- Our sites offer publicly accessible community forums. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas is public and may be read, collected, and used by others who access them and may remain on the public forum indefinitely. To request removal of your personal information from our community forums, fill the Privacy Form below. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why. We encourage all users to exercise caution when providing personal information in community forums. If you provide information when you communicate through our BeAiware community forums, we may link this information with your personal information.
- Information from third parties. We may supplement the information we collect with information from other third parties that we use to promote our products and services. For example, we may receive information from a third party about how well an online marketing or email campaign performed, or from conference and trade show organizers.
- How We Use This Information
We use the information collected to provide and improve our website services and our products and to analyze usage information for sales and marketing purposes. We also use the information collected to communicate with you in any manner that you have requested. This analysis is necessary to further our legitimate interest in understanding our users and their interactions with us and our websites to best iterate and improve on our websites and communications, including marketing purposes, and to provide you with content that you have requested. Third party information that we collect from social media may be used to provide you with requested information or our newsletter or contact you regarding our services, opportunities, products, and/or events.
- How We Share This Information
Where we use third-party analytics tools to help us understand how the BeAiware websites are used, these parties will have access to some of your personal information. This includes analytics tools such as Google Analytics.
B. Customers (Schools and School Districts).
If you are a customer of BeAiware, we are providing our products and services directly to your school or school district and we are a “data controller” for purposes of the personal information collected in connection with the customer accounts.
- Information We Collect
- Directly from you. We collect information necessary to provide the educational technology services as directed by you. The information collected from you depends on the specific product and what is needed to integrate with your systems and to set up and maintain accounts. This includes information in the following data categories:
- Account information: The exact elements will depend on the product and what specific information you as a customer provide us, but often we receive from you include pupil records of students and parents of students enrolled in your school or district, such as directory information, email addresses, student IDs, account credentials, smart badges used, contact with others, and health information kept in our system.
- We also collect employee account information including user names, email addresses and titles to initially set up products and services for you.
- From third parties. We may receive information from other third parties. For example, we may receive limited personal information from third-party services that integrate with or complement the BeAiware products or services in order to provide you with the best possible user experience.
- How We Use This Information
We use your information to provide you the features and functionality of the BeAiware products and services, as well as to communicate directly with you and allow you to communicate with other BeAiware users. It is necessary for us to use your information in this manner in order to provide you with the services your school district has requested pursuant to its agreement with BeAiware. We will use your information to provide you with news and information about new products and services. Any such marketing communications from us may be discontinued at any time. We may also use de-identified and aggregated information to understand and improve our products and services. We may share general customer contact information with certain Partners as is necessary to offer and provide our products and services to our current and prospective clients. No customer data other than general institution contact information is provided for these purposes. For absolute clarity, we do not provide any student data or personally identifiable information to any Partners for marketing purposes.
- How We Share This Information
We share information to provide the BeAiware products and services to you and further improve them. Within BeAiware, your information will be accessed only by those who have a need to provide BeAiware products and services. We use vendors to help us provide the BeAiware products and services to your school or school district. For example, as your school or school district has a hosted BeAiware product or service, Amazon Web Services provide our cloud hosting facilities. Third-party analytics tools may also have access to your personal information to help us understand how the BeAiware products and services are being used.
- Student Personal Information
BeAiware is a data processor with respect to student personal information and the BeAiware customer (school or school district) is the data controller. Where a BeAiware customer enters into an agreement with BeAiware to provide products and services, that BeAiware customer acknowledges that BeAiware is a data processor with respect to personal information received from that BeAiware customer or from a student/parent in connection with the BeAiware products and services.
- Student Personal Data OwnershipAll student personal data remains the property of and is solely owned, and thereby controlled, by our BeAiware customers. You grant BeAiware a non-exclusive, royalty free license, to use equipment, software, your data or other material of yours solely for the purpose of providing, maintaining, and supporting you and other licensees with BeAiware products and services. BeAiware will only use student personal data for the purposes of providing the products and services that our customers (school or school districts) have contracted with us to provide and we will process student personal data according to instructions and the terms of our contract with our customers. Student personal data will not be used for targeted Advertising by BeAiware or any of its affiliates.
C. Parents and Students, and Visitors to our Customers
The school or school district decides how your personal information is used.
BeAiware provides learning and registration products and services to end-users of a school or school district (our customers) as a “data processor.” The main responsibility of what is known as a “data controller” lies with the school or school district. This also means that the school or school district’s own privacy statement governs the use of student personal information. BeAiware’s customers determine what information we collect through the BeAiware products and services and how it is used, and we process that information according to our customer’s instructions and the terms of our contract with our customer.
This section of our Privacy Statement is provided for informational purposes and describes how parent and student personal information is used when BeAiware products and services are provided through a school or school district. How that information is used depends on the school or school district, so please consult your institution’s privacy statement. We provide support access to and correction of student personally identifiable information by the student or their authorized parent, by assisting the educational institution in meeting its requirements.
- Information We Collect
- Information provided to us by a school or school district. BeAiware products and services may integrate with our customer’s systems. The specific information that is collected from the school or school district includes: name, grade, student ID, smart tags used, contacts detected by our smart tags with date and timestamp, health information kept in our system, and additional records as requested by the school or school district. Depending on the school or school district’s request, we may also collect financial information of students and parents of students as is made available to us in order to provide services. BeAiware will receive regular updated information to keep account information accurate and up to date.
- Directly from a parent or student: Depending on the BeAiware products and services your school (or your child’s school) uses, we will collect the following data categories directly: name, grade, student ID, account credentials, smart badges used, contacts detected by our smart tags with date and timestamp, health records included in our system, and additional records as requested by the school or school district. Depending on the school or school district’s request, we may also collect financial information of students and parents of students in order to provide services. BeAiware will receive regular updated information to keep account information accurate and up to date.
- How We Use This Information
- On behalf of your school or school district. We use your information on behalf of and under the instruction of your child’s school or school district, which is the data controller. We use the information in accordance with our agreement with your child’s school or school district to operate, maintain, and provide the features and functionality of the BeAiware products and services. Your child’s school or school district determines how the personal information is used.
- How We Share This Information
D. Sharing with Vendors, Partners, and Other Disclosures
- Vendors. We engage directly with certain third-party companies to help us provide the BeAiware products and services to our customers or to you or to perform work on our behalf (“Vendors”). Our vendors are required to abide by our privacy and security instructions and are contractually restricted from using any personal information they access or receive from us for any purposes other than as needed to perform such services. We may use vendors to help us conduct marketing campaigns or events and disclose customer contact information necessary for those activities.
- Partners. Your institution may work with third-party companies to provide additional content and functionality which requires access to BeAiware products and services (“Partners”) Only with your institution’s permission, will we share information about you, such as your name, email, or student ID, that is required to provide you with access to the products and services that have been requested by your institution. In these cases, these Partners will enter into an agreement directly with your institution regarding the processing of any data at the direction of your institution.
- Other Types of Disclosures. We may also share your information where required under the following circumstances:
- Where permitted by applicable law and by contracts with our customers, we may disclose your information in the course of a corporate transaction such as a merger, acquisition, sale of assets, or a financing, or pursuant to a bankruptcy, dissolution proceeding or reorganization.
- We may need to disclose your information to comply with legal or regulatory requirements and to respond to lawful requests, court orders, and legal processes. Where such disclosures relate to personal data we hold as a data processor on behalf of our customers, we will refer such requests to our customers where permissible.
- We may need to disclose your information to protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of BeAiware, our customers, or third parties, including enforcing contracts or policies, or in connection with investigating and preventing fraud or other misuse of our systems.
- We may utilize aggregated or de-identified (anonymized) information that is no longer associated with a person to enhance and promote the BeAiware products and services. BeAiware does not rent, sell, or otherwise provide access to student personal data to third parties for marketing or advertising purposes.
- Marketing. We conduct marketing to promote the BeAiware products and services, but do not use or disclose information (whether personal information or otherwise) about students that we collect through the provision of BeAiware products and services for targeting of advertisements to students. When we conduct (or sponsor) events, conferences, and webinars, we will collect information about attendees, such as the session they attend and their contact information to provide them information about BeAiware products and services and other BeAiware information.
- Marketing Preferences and Opt-Out. Our marketing emails will always include an “unsubscribe” link so that you can change your preferences and opt-out of receiving marketing emails or communications from BeAiware. Please note that even if you opt-out of marketing emails, we may still need to contact you with important information about your BeAiware account.
- Interest-based Advertising. We use third party advertising tools to collect information about your visits to the BeAiware websites to provide targeted advertisements to you based on your browsing history on other websites or on other devices you may use. No advertising tools are connected to our service portal (at your school subdomain at BeAiware.net). If you would prefer to not receive personalized ads based on your browser or device usage, you may generally express your opt-out preference to no longer receive tailored advertisements. Please note that you will continue to see advertisements, but they will no longer be tailored to your interests. To learn more or opt-out of interest-based advertising by participating companies in the following consumer choice mechanisms, please visit:
- Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA)’s self-regulatory opt-out page (http://optout.aboutads.info/) and mobile application-based “AppChoices” download page (https://youradchoices.com/appchoices)
- Network Advertising Initiative (NAI)’s self-regulatory opt-out page (http://optout.networkadvertising.org/).
- Google Analytics and Advertising. We also use Google Analytics and other third-party cookies to collect certain information about your visits to our BeAiware websites. You can opt-out of third-party cookies from Google Analytics using the Google Analytics opt-out browser setting add-onor other ad management tools.
III. Data Retention
A. Website Users
We keep website usage information for as long as necessary for the purposes described above. Account information is retained until you delete the account and for a limited period thereafter. Where you have provided information in forms, we retain the information as long as it is required, depending on the nature of the request. If you unsubscribe from receiving marketing communications from us, we will keep a record of this to ensure that you do not receive such communications in the future.
B. Customers (Schools and School Districts)
We keep information collected on behalf of our customers for as long as necessary and pursuant to contractual terms. We dispose of information that is not held pursuant to contractual terms in a commercially reasonable time period or at the request of a customer.
IV. Children’s Privacy
We do not knowingly collect any information from children under the age of 16 unless and until the BeAiware customer (school or school district) has provided authorization for a student under 16 to use the BeAiware products and services and for us to collect personal information from such student.
Please contact us using the Privacy Form below if you believe that we have inadvertently collected personal information from a child under 16 without proper consent. This will allow us to delete such information as soon as possible.
BeAiware employs a variety of physical, administrative, and technological safeguards that are designed to protect personal information against loss, misuse, and unauthorized access or disclosure. We strive to continuously enhance our technical and operational security measures. Our measures consider the type and sensitivity of the data being collected, used, and stored, and the current state of technology and threats to information. BeAiware’s security measures include data encryption, firewalls, data use and access limitations for personnel and vendors, and physical access controls to our facilities.
VI. United States Federal and State Education Privacy Laws
BeAiware, in its role as a vendor to educational institutions, both public and private entities (“Educational Agencies”), receives disclosures from the Educational Agencies, which include the personal information and other data (“Student Data”) contained in student records as well as directly from students and parents of students. Only information that is needed for BeAiware to perform services, which are outsourced to BeAiware by the Educational Agencies, is disclosed to BeAiware. These disclosures are authorized by the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). BeAiware considers Student Data to be strictly confidential and do not use Student Data for any purpose other than improving and providing our products and services to the Educational Agencies or on the Educational Agencies’ behalf. Our collection, use, and sharing of Student Data is governed by our contracts with the Educational Agencies, the provisions of FERPA, the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA), and other applicable state and federal laws and regulations that relate to the collection and use of personal information of students. If you have questions about reviewing, modifying, or deleting personal information of a student, please contact the relevant Educational Agency(ies) directly.
VII. Links to Other Sites
VIII. Successor Entities
If BeAiware is ever acquired, merged, or part in any event that leads to changes in ownership of information, we have pledged that the successor entity will be subject to the Student Privacy Pledge for any previously collected student personal information.
IX. Changes to This Privacy Statement
We may update this Privacy Statement and its last updated date to reflect changes to our data governance practices. If we propose to make any material changes, we will notify you by means of a notice on this page prior to the change becoming effective. We encourage you to periodically review this page for the latest information on our privacy practices. If you use our services, you will see a notice in your login screen, asking you to confirm your consent to the changes.